May 19, 2026

Government Secures Additional Fertiliser Shipments For Australian Farmers

Australian farmers are set to benefit from an additional 90,000 tonnes of fertiliser secured by the Government to support food production and supply chains. Photo source: Shutterstock

The Albanese Labor Government has secured approximately 90,000 tonnes of agricultural grade urea to support Australian farmers and help maintain the nation’s food supply chain amid ongoing global uncertainty.

The additional fertiliser shipments were secured through Export Finance Australia in partnership with CSBP and Incitec Pivot and mark the first shipments obtained under the Government’s new Strategic Reserve powers.

The move forms part of broader efforts to help Australia’s agriculture sector manage the impacts of conflict in the Middle East, with more shipments expected in the coming weeks.

The new supply builds on the 250,000 tonnes of fertiliser previously secured with Indonesia through PT Pupuk in partnership with Incitec Pivot.

The Government said the extra fertiliser would provide greater certainty for farmers as they make planting and growing decisions while supporting both domestic food production and export supply chains.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the Government was focused on supporting Australian farmers during a period of global disruption.

“We’re backing Australian farmers and producers during this time of global uncertainty,” Mr Albanese said.

“We know how critical fertiliser is for the sector, which is why we’re securing important additional shipments like this.”

Trade and Tourism Minister Don Farrell said the Government was providing practical support to farming communities facing supply challenges.

“This is another example of the Government providing practical and timely assistance to Australian farmers at a time of intense global supply disruptions,” Senator Farrell said.

“Our hard-working farming communities can be assured that we will leave no stone unturned to help secure the inputs needed to keep them moving and produce the best food and fibre in the world.”

Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister Julie Collins said securing fertiliser supplies was essential for food security.

“Underwriting additional shipments of fertiliser is about ensuring our farmers can continue producing the food we all love and rely on,” Minister Collins said.

“This is positive news for our farmers and means they can continue planting with confidence during this current season and know that additional supply is on the way for the future. Having access to critical inputs like fertiliser underpins the food security of Australia and the countries we export to, particularly in the Indo-Pacific region, which is why we’ve been working day and night with industry to get fertiliser to our farmers.”

The Government has also announced a $7.5 billion Fuel and Fertiliser Security Facility to support supply and storage, alongside measures to streamline fertiliser imports and strengthen food security partnerships internationally.

So far, the Albanese Government says it has secured more than 450 million litres of additional diesel and 100 million litres of additional aviation fuel under new financing arrangements.